This banana cake is moist with lots of walnut and cinnamon flavour. A great cake for a potluck brunch. Makes 14 servings.
½ cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
2 tbsp (25 mL) brown sugar
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
1 cup (250 mL) mashed ripe banana, about 2 to 3 bananas
2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
¼ cup (50 mL) brown sugar
2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
½ cup (125 mL) skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent burning. As soon as you can smell them, they are done. Remove from the oven and set aside until cool. Don’t turn the oven off.
2. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the banana, lemon juice, eggs and sugar with a whisk.
4. In a second bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix into the wet ingredients alternating with the skim milk.
5. Grease a bunt pan with cooking spray. Add ½ of the filling mixture to the pan. Top with ½ of the cake batter. Add the rest of the filling mixture and top with the remaining batter.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from the pan. Cut into 14 slices.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
(1 piece - 50 g /1.5 oz) Calories: 137, Protein: 4 g, Total fat: 4 g, Saturated fat: 1 g, Dietary cholesterol: 27 mg, Carbohydrate: 23 g, Dietary fibre: 3 g, Sodium: 125 mg, Potassium: 199 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. © The Heart and Stroke Foundation