Rise and Shine Sandwich
Try this breakfast sandwich for a quick on-the-go start to your day. It is easier than take out, and so much better for you. Compare this sandwich with the leading egg sandwich from a fast food restaurant at 300 calories, 12 g of fat, 5 g of saturated fat and 820 mg of sodium.
Ingredients (Makes 1 serving)
~ 1/4 cup (50 mL) liquid egg substitute
~ 2 tbsp (25 mL) light mozzarella cheese, shredded
~ 2 tbsp (25 mL) red pepper, finely diced
~ 1 tbsp (15 mL) sodium reduced deli ham, finely sliced
~ Pepper to taste
~ 1/8 tsp (1 mL) Italian seasoning (optional)
~ 1 whole-grain English muffin, toasted
1. Use a microwave safe bowl, about the same diameter as the English muffin. Spray lightly with canola oil spray.
2. In the bowl, mix together egg, cheese, red pepper, ham, pepper and Italian seasoning (if using). Microwave on high for 1 minute. Turn the egg over and microwave for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
3. Place egg on the toasted English muffin and off you go!
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 247, Protein: 19 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated fat: 3 g, Dietary Cholesterol: 15 mg, Carbohydrate: 29 g, Dietary Fibre: 4 g, Sodium: 710 mg, Potassium: 413 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. © The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Goat Cheese Mint Bean Spread
Makes 500 mL (2 cups)
This creamy spread is delicious served with crisp vegetables. Your guests will enjoy the fresh mint and the tangy subtle flavour of the goat cheese.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
~ 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) white kidney beans, drained and well-rinsed
~ 1 pkg (125 g/4 oz) soft goat cheese
~ 60 mL (1/4 cup) low-fat milk
~ 75 mL (1/3 cup) chopped fresh mint
~ 60 mL (1/4 cup) chopped sundried tomatoes
~ 1 large clove garlic, minced
~ 1 mL (1/4 tsp) freshly ground pepper
1. In food processor pulse beans until coarsely chopped.
2. Add goat cheese and milk and puree until smooth.
3. Pulse in mint, tomatoes, garlic and pepper until combined.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour for flavours to develop.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; stir well before serving.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
25 mL/2 tbsp Calories: 42, Protein: 3 g, Total fat: 1 g, Saturated fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Carbohydrate: 5 g, Fibre: 1 g, Sugars: 1 g, Sodium: 103 mg, Potassium: 111 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation
More coming soon... check again